1. Emerging from an icebox restaurant into the blinding heat of a desert summer. Refusing to turn on the A/C. Allowing your skin to crisp its tingly way back to the scalding outside temperature.
2. Wide open, speed-camera-free highways winding alongside red and purple mountains.
3.5. Endless entrail soup at unPhogettable. (I know, the name would be unPhogivable if not for that broth. Oh that broth!)
4. Obliterating desert storms at night, furiously rolling through rock and sand and onto our roof, quenching the parched dirt and stirring the bowels of the earth.
5. Rosati’s thin-crust Valentino.
6. Quail families scampering across the street in a frantic peeping parade.
7. Massive amounts of water assumed necessary – and thus, free – in every eating establishment.
8. Starbucks while grocery shopping.
9. Universal acceptability of flip-flops and tank tops.
10. The Torkington kitchen.